Literacy isn’t just for the English department! This overview for secondary leaders explores how a disciplinary literacy approach can be introduced to your school to improve learning, engagement and inclusion across all subjects, with a particular focus on supporting learners with literacy difficulties and/or SEND.
Designed and delivered by our expert consultant, Ruth Everett, this session is ideal for heads, senior leaders and literacy leads.
- Understanding how disciplinary literacy differs from traditional and/or generic literacy.
- Exploring how disciplinary literacy can be more accessible and inclusive for those with barriers to literacy.
- Highlighting the importance of training classroom teachers in subject-specific literacy.
Participants will leave with:
- An overview of the benefits of disciplinary and whole-school literacy.
- An understanding of the value of embedding disciplinary literacy into your school and training your workforce to better support learners with literacy difficulties and/or SEND.
- Strategies and supporting evidence for approaching SLT in order to implement a whole-school literacy approach.